Page 1 of 1

24 Hour Gym Planned For Town Centre

Posted: Sun 04 Oct, 2015 8:00 pm
by Steve
A planning application has been submitted to convert the Marquee Centre in to a 24 hour gym

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... V42GLH0N00

Re: 24 Hour Gym Planned For Town Centre

Posted: Mon 05 Oct, 2015 8:25 am
by beebopb
I know it was a few weeks ago now, but I don't recall that being presented as one of the options in the consultation for the 'Urban Design Strategy'. :D

Re: 24 Hour Gym Planned For Town Centre

Posted: Mon 05 Oct, 2015 10:56 am
by Steve
beebopb wrote:I know it was a few weeks ago now, but I don't recall that being presented as one of the options in the consultation for the 'Urban Design Strategy'. :D
The District Council don't own the building - they [the consultants] can only suggest uses. The owners can propose whatever they like.

Re: 24 Hour Gym Planned For Town Centre

Posted: Mon 05 Oct, 2015 11:34 am
by beebopb
Actually seems to me to be a reasonable idea for using that space, with potential to generate additional foot-fall in the town centre, probably better than what was proposed.

Re: 24 Hour Gym Planned For Town Centre

Posted: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 9:30 am
by jackanapes
It's actually a really good fit for the town, services are obviously a more vital segment than "small town" retail. This guardian article points to a 44% rise in gym spending in the last year (really?)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... 4-per-cent